News: UPDATE - The next Parish Meeting will be on 26th February 2024.

Healaugh

The name comes from the Saxon heah and leah, meaning a high forest clearing. Once it was the centre of a vast estate. In the reign of King Stephen (1135 -54) it was given to the Gant family, later John of Gant, Duke of Lancaster, (1340 – 99) had a hunting lodge here and later Lord Wharton had a vast estate here and a hunting lodge, Park Hall which is now a farm. In days gone by it had a chapel, Post Office and shop, but is now a sleepy little village that delights visitors with its telephone box which is carpeted and always has fresh flowers displayed in it.

We use third-party cookies to personalise content and analyse site traffic.

Learn more